Rochen Host Customer Forums  

Go Back   Rochen Customer Forums > Public Forums > Pre-Sales Questions

Old 21st July 2003, 06:02 PM   #1
Unregistered

Moving Accounts and other stuff

Hi,

I have 6-8 accounts/domains in my current hosting company and I would like to move them to Rochen.

I know it can be done quite fast. My previous host did it before. Transferring over 50MB database + files from my previous host to my current host in just few minutes.

Can you do that for me or can you let me know how I can do it myself?

Next, what is your server uptime?

Lastly, I read somewhere that you guys are located around the world. So do that means that you don't know the datacenter but you bought the "server space" with your own servers in a data center?

Old 21st July 2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Chris
Rochen Staff

Hello,

Welcome to our forums

Firstly, we can't move the accounts for you, as it simply consumes far to much of our support time. Are you looking into a reseller plan or a multiple domain hosting plan? Let me know and I will answer the second part of this question in the best way possible

Our server uptime averages normally around the 99.8% - 100% mark. We have never, in the 3 years we have been doing hosting, had a server drop below the 99% threshold.

We have employees around the world, mainly the US and UK. Nope, we don't own the data center, we simply have server space leased their. We utilize the Net Access Corporation (NAC) data center in New Jersey, their site can be found at: http://www.nac.net.

If you get back to me on the point raised above, I will happily answer that and if you have any further questions - do let us know

Follow Rochen on Twitter @rochenhost
Old 31st July 2003, 04:56 PM   #3
Unregistered

Sorry for late reply. I was looking at other companies with multiple hosting and I thought that yours seems to come back to me again and again.

1) I'm looking for multiple domain hosting plan, Unix. You see, I have a lot of problems moving my accounts from one host to another. I hope that you could help here by moving my accounts.

2) I have a customer base and I need to send emails once a while. Thus, I will do a mass-mailing to all my customers.
Will that be violating your rules? I must stress that it is not
spamming. Once a while I will just email my customers, which happens to be about a couple of thousands.

3) Quite frankly, I feel uncomfortable about hosting with a company where they don't own their own data center. I thought that they are the most likely company to close because they don't physically own it. If you can convince me on this, I will sign up with you straight away.

BTW, do you accept Paypal?

Old 31st July 2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Chris
Rochen Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Sorry for late reply. I was looking at other companies with multiple hosting and I thought that yours seems to come back to me again and again.
No problem, welcome back...

Quote:
1) I'm looking for multiple domain hosting plan, Unix. You see, I have a lot of problems moving my accounts from one host to another. I hope that you could help here by moving my accounts.
Sorry, we can't move accounts. It's simply not part of the service we provide. It consumes far to much support time and secondly there is to great a liability on our part, as so many things can go wrong.

Quote:
2) I have a customer base and I need to send emails once a while. Thus, I will do a mass-mailing to all my customers.
Will that be violating your rules? I must stress that it is not
spamming. Once a while I will just email my customers, which happens to be about a couple of thousands.
Yes, that should be fine. Providing it doesn't place an extreme load on the server. Although, I can't see a problem with sending a few hundred emails

Quote:
3) Quite frankly, I feel uncomfortable about hosting with a company where they don't own their own data center. I thought that they are the most likely company to close because they don't physically own it. If you can convince me on this, I will sign up with you straight away.
You will find that 99% of hosting providers don't own their own data center. Most of the providers who own their own data center provide dedicated server services and not shared hosting.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, we have been in the web hosting industry for over 3 years. The Customer Testimonials section of this forum speaks for itself. There isn't really much more I can say on this - it really comes down to your personal choice

Quote:
BTW, do you accept Paypal?
Nope, due to the high volumes we process and lack of fraud protection Paypal provides - we don't offer it as a payment method. All payments are made via credit card using our secure merchant gateway.

If you have any further questions, please get in touch

Old 31st July 2003, 10:22 PM   #5
bradlee
Rochen Community Member

BTW - for a fee i am happy to do the transfers for you. This of course is totally independant from Rochen, although, hopefully they can vouch for me...
See my website, or send me an email, yahoo, im etc if interested...
Old 1st August 2003, 07:10 AM   #6
Unregistered

Just a few more questions:

1) What is the marked differences between Hosting Plans and the Reseller's plans? I don't see much differences except the number of domains hosted, own name servers and a WHM.

2) Do you provide unique IP addresses? I need about 5 of them.

Lastly, I'm looking for bradlee. Your website is not working and I cannot seem to contact you. Please send me your email address.

Thanks.

Old 1st August 2003, 07:14 AM   #7
Chris
Rochen Staff

Quote:
1) What is the marked differences between Hosting Plans and the Reseller's plans? I don't see much differences except the number of domains hosted, own name servers and a WHM.
That's really the only diffrence. The reseller plan allows you to add your own domains also, it's far more flexiable. With the multiple domain hosting plan we are required to add the domains for you. The reseller plan comes with 2 IPs for the name servers and your main reseller domain is setup on its own IP.

Quote:
2) Do you provide unique IP addresses? I need about 5 of them.
The Multiple Domain Hosting plans do not come with any dedicated IP addresses. You would need to purchase the IPs after your account has been setup. IP pricing is $5.50 per month per IP or $25 per month for a block of 10 IPs. All IP addresses must be justified per ARIN (Amercian Registry for Internet Numbers) guidelines, we can't simply hand them out.

Quote:
Lastly, I'm looking for bradlee. Your website is not working and I cannot seem to contact you. Please send me your email address.
bradlee's site is coming flying up here for me anyway...

Old 1st August 2003, 07:28 AM   #8
Unregistered

That was FAST reply!

A few more questions. (Wow! I am picky!)

1) I read the various forums and I realised that it is possible to transfer files and database via SSH. Can I have some information or resources on how I can do that? Just like some guys, I have over 200+MB of files and data to move over and using FTP is a BIG headache!

2) You said:
"The reseller plan comes with 2 IPs for the name servers and your main reseller domain is setup on its own IP."
So if I will have total of 3 IPs. But out of the 3 IPs I cannot use the 2 of them because they are IPs right?
My justifications for more IPs: search engines optimization. Some search engines will not rank a group of sites together because they are from same IP.

3) Lastly, I really need to confirm that I can send mass mail. You see, I have 4000 customers in one of my customer base and I only need to send them emails once or twice a month, not everyday. For sure, that will take up some load for about 10 minutes, I guess. Can I confirm that it is OK? I must say that it is NOT SPAM.
My current host banned me from using code to contact their mail host because I loaded their servers. That's the FIRST TIME I heard about this problem from them!

Old 1st August 2003, 08:34 AM   #9
datamile
Rochen Community Member

If both server are running reseller accounts with cpanel its pretty easy to transfer the accounts as there is an option under whm.

You will also need to be aware of minimizing the dns refresh times on your old server so that the move is doesn't have resolving issues. i.e on your old server, set the tts refresh to 250 for all domains.

IP's. As far as I know

ns1/main site IP is one
ns2 is the other

all resold accounts point to the servers main IP , so you get 2

You do not need multiple IPs for search engines optimization, its a myth from many years ago.
Old 1st August 2003, 08:34 AM   #10
bradlee
Rochen Community Member

i'm here... and you can get my email address from my profile... or my website... www.bradleebaker.com or www.blbhosting.com
Old 1st August 2003, 08:44 AM   #11
Unregistered

>> If both server are running reseller accounts with cpanel its pretty easy to transfer the accounts as there is an option under whm.

Under WHM, which option?

Old 1st August 2003, 08:49 AM   #12
bradlee
Rochen Community Member

whm option ?? Where ? what skin??
Not that i am disagreeing but i don't know any way to do it in whm.

You can thru cpanel download the entire site as a backup and *hopefully* restore it to the new site running cpanel...
Old 1st August 2003, 08:50 AM   #13
datamile
Rochen Community Member

Depends on the skin... it doesn't appear in xskin for example. Depends if your hosts grants it. Not sure on rochen servers as I'm dedicated

There is a section called transfers (between account functions and themes)

Last edited by datamile; 1st August 2003 at 08:52 AM.
Old 1st August 2003, 08:51 AM   #14
bradlee
Rochen Community Member

*heads off to look* with a frown on face.....
Old 1st August 2003, 08:53 AM   #15
bradlee
Rochen Community Member

Quote:
Originally posted by datamile
Depends on the skin... it doesn't appear in xskin for example. Depends if your hosts grants it. Not sure on rochen servers as I'm dedicated

There is a section called transfers (between account functions and themes)
aaaaah you got something we don't have... i got nothing in whm like that.... oh well.....