Rochen Host Customer Forums  

Go Back   Rochen Customer Forums > Public Forums > Pre-Sales Questions

Old 12th November 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
grisha
Rochen Community Member

Pre-sale SSL question

I want to get UK Reseller Plan - UK Reseller Plan 1.
I know from my own experience that I would need SSL to be installed in more than one place, ie. main reseller account,
login.mainresellerdomain.com and maybe elsewhere too. I do have Wildcard SSL cert from COMODO valid for one domain
(*.mydomain.com), BUT I want to turn that into my resold primary domain. And I also have another SSL cert (not a wildcard though) for a different domain (mydomain2.com). Then the question is...SSL-wise...is there any difference?
I can purchase an additional cert for, say, login.mydomain2.com. I want to turn mydomain2.com into my main reseller domain.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:56 PM   #2
MikeS
Rochen Community Member

To use private SSLs you will need an SSL cert AND a dedicated IP address for each account where an SSL is required.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:42 PM   #3
grisha
Rochen Community Member

I know about that, but I was asking about the MAIN reseller domain. Not about the resolds...In resolds, it's clear how it works.
See, some hosting providers purchase a wildcard SSL for a year in your name and you can install it for free into your main reseller account. Well, when you cancel, they tell you that actually it was NOT free...Kinda like a trick.
Anyhow...From what I understood (correct me if I'm wrong here), Rochen do NOT provide a free wildcard SSL for a main domain for resellers. Therefore, a substitute must be bought by a reseller customer, correct? Whether you give a dedicated IP for free on a main one is not all that important, after all it can be bought. I do have a wildcard SSL, BUT I do NOT want to use THAT specific domain name for my MAIN reseller account (I plan to put it on a primary resold).
I also have a regular SSL cert for ANOTHER domain. That domain I want to put on a main one. BUT...That SSL is NOT a WILDCARD one. So my question is...
in this situation, what should be done or purchased before opening a reseller account on Rochen server (a UK one)?
Old 12th November 2012, 10:46 PM   #4
MikeS
Rochen Community Member

Actually Rochen do provide a "wildcard" SSL, but it's at the server level, at least they used to and I think this is still the case
Also you will find that the "main" domain is no different from any other account if you have a re-seller account and should be treated just the same
Old 12th November 2012, 10:54 PM   #5
grisha
Rochen Community Member

So you're trying to tell me that if I open a reseller hosting account with Rochen, then I shouldn't worry about SSL for my main reseller account?
I don't know about Rochen, but other companies treat a main account and the resold ones totally different!
Old 12th November 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
MikeS
Rochen Community Member

I guess it all boils down to why you think you would need an SL for your "main" domain.
With regards to reseller accounts, this also provide the private nameserver name and typically you wouldn't use the "main" account for anything however you can use it again, just like any other re-sold hosting.
I'm sure someone from Rochen staff will see this thread and chip in, and correct me, if necessary
Old 12th November 2012, 11:04 PM   #7
grisha
Rochen Community Member

Well, I know exactly WHY I would need SSL on the main one...
Because it's that account that has all the "entries", so to speak into the system for the reseller and his customers.
Customer login form page, ClientExec (if there's one), reseller's own login (though I used to login as a reseller from my hoster's main page with its own SSL on it).
Old 12th November 2012, 11:10 PM   #8
MikeS
Rochen Community Member

Then use the wildcard SSL!
Also, the main host account is NOT a gateway at all, there are 2 environments, the client panel, cPanel, and the hosting panel, Web Host Manager, and these environments are both different and independent.
I have all ready answered everything that matters relating to your questions, I think I should leave it to "staff" to clarify anything else for you
Old 12th November 2012, 11:20 PM   #9
grisha
Rochen Community Member

I told that I do NOT have a wildcard SSL for the domain that I plan to turn into the main one. And I have no desire to purchase a wildcard SSL (since it's not very cheap). Maybe it's different on Rochen, but I've learned the hard way on Bluehost. And I kinda want to avoid pitfalls wherever I can.
I won't need ClientExec, so it's N/A...
Customers' login form...Isn't it like that on Rochen:
https://login.maindomain.com?
Also I still don't get it...whether Rochen same as BH provides free wildcard SSL on the main reseller domain.