Weekend suspensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
All of us customers are already aware that Rochen has the fastest server and is best in terms of infrastructure. And is environmentally friendly and all that. And they're hosting Joomla.org so they're at the top of the world.

However, there's one thing which can outweigh even their lightning-fast servers. In a negative way.

Yesterday my website was suspended, Friday night at around 23:00. Today the billing department doesn't work as...well...it's Saturday. But some idiot still made a program which pulls the plug on Friday night, when it's next to impossible to make an emergency payment and even if you do - the billing dept doesn't work.

So now there's no way to process the payment and get the site back online until Monday, although my card is ready to be billed.

And yes, I repeat, whoever made a program which suspends websites due to delayed payments on a day when it is not possible to make a payment is an idiot. Downright idiot. I would like to know who that was.

This is the second time this happened, and last time was even worse, as they pulled the plug on Sunday. Since I was away from civilization that week, I spent the entire day desperately trying to find a bank which works so I can send lousy 10 euros to Rochen. Anyone intelligent would wait until Monday morning, but not Rochen.

Anyway, I'm quite busy and often on business trips and I got to tell you, paying Rochen those lousy couple of euros is a bigger obligation and a problem for me than any real business obligation I have. My money is constantly moving around and I can't guarantee I will have the exact change on 15th, 16th and 23rd.

Rochen insists the payment is made right in the five-day window (which very often, naturally, includes the weekend so it's a three-day or four-day window), they only accept one payment solution (wow), and if you don't manage to pay in time you're suspended. And even if I initiate a money transfer to myself, to my debit card, so I can pay Rochen - sometimes it takes a day longer than expected, as money transfers sometimes do. And you get suspended the exact minute the deadline expires even though you're a paying customer for a year or more.

I'd very much like to pay in advance, or initiate the payment myself, but that's not possible with Rochen. They insist on that five-day (or three-day) window during which they attempt to bill your card, and if it happens to be empty, you're suspended. No questions asked. No arguments accepted.

I remember a lousy hosting service StartLogic - you know, the "unlimited" one with tech support who doesn't speak English - but they had one good feature - a "I need more time" button which extended your payment deadline for a week. For those cases when the "check is in the mail", which happens to all of us. It came in quite handy, I used it only once in two years but avoided a suspension and consequent loss of traffic.

Rochen doesn't care for customers. It's either 1 or 0, you either paid when we forced the billing or you didn't.

On the other hand, in the Terms & Conditions, Rochen states that "outages of service will be expected" and in the Guarantees section they state that "the customer is guaranteed that Rochen will do their best". Nothing more.

For payments they are so rigid that it's impossible, and for example, with this month's issue with latency, which cost me money, they didn't even bother to say sorry. Because they were "doing their best".

For them it's enough to do their best (without making guarantees), and for us customers it's not enough to do our best (walk the deserted island searching for a bank) but only the outcome counts (either you paid by that exact minute or you didn't).

That's not fair. Rochen may be proud of their infrastructure but us customers are financing it with our money and our trust.

Most of you probably never had this problem because you're careful about having enough money on your card, but for me it's sometimes a problem to do it on some exact day, and I wanted you to hear my story so you know the true colors of Rochen's billing department and their poor business practices.

And, don't be naive. Rochen became big because they have a perfect business model with no delayed payments. Not even one minute delay after the deadline. Nice and clean.

And cheap. As in "cheap bastard" cheap.

They don't really care about our businesses and the damage caused by the outages and the lobotomized suspensions. I guess caring is not part of the service at Rochen. And most of us are not hosting blogs about Mickey Mouse here but profitable business products, so the relationship between Rochen and the customer is a business one. At least is should be.

MikeS

Rochen Community Member
Stop ranting and sort your payment process out. My payment is taken automatically and has never been a problem for me for the approx 10yrs I have been with Rochen. They even notify me, in advance, that the card the payments were attached to would be expiring and would need updating before the next payment, so no problem for me at all. Sounds to me like the problem is YOURS not theirs!

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
In case of suspension,

They can and will suspend accounts on Friday night.

Their billing department doesn't work until Monday.

See the problem, dumbass?

MikeS

Rochen Community Member
Quite clear to all who the root of the problem is, and being offensive only shows that more so!

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
Cancelling service for delayed payment on a day on which you don't accept payment.

It's a logical issue, I don't expect everyone to understand it.

MikeS

Rochen Community Member
Nothing illogical about it at all, you had a 5 day window and clearly ignored it, seeing as it's not the first time one would have thought the intelligent and logical thing would have been to sort yourself out the first time. The root of the problem is your own lack of organisation, sort your own problems out and stop blaming others for your own inadequacies ;)

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
Nothing illogical about suspending the service for no payment two days after the guys who are processing the payment went home?

You didn't read the full text, did you. The first time I got suspended on Sunday. The non-working day. The day I can't send the payment and the day the Rochen's payment department can't receive it.

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
In the entire business world, it's common practice to give workday deadline for all payments. For example, 3 working days. 5 working days. 8 working days.

Because those are the only days when you can send the payment and the only days the payment can be received.

The only days counting towards the deadline. Anything else doesn't make sense.

But an honest citizen like you certainly doesn't care about problems of others or illogical things in a hosting provider of which you're a member for 10 years.

Why the hell would you? Your site is online.

RCheesley

Rochen Community Member
I have to say, much as I am severely underwhelmed by Rochen at the present moment for other reasons, they DO give you a 5 day warning, with an email every day, advising you that payment has failed. They DO tell you that your account will be suspended five days from the due date of the invoice which is clearly and prominently displayed on the invoice.

They also bill you at the same time each month so you know how much you need to pay, at which point in the month.

Therefore, the responsibility is on you to ensure that funds are available to cover the bill - just like any other service that you make use of. You can use a credit or debit card to make the payment, so if you don't have enough on one card, just use another one as soon as you get the notification (which will include at least 3 working days when their billing department is open).

I do understand that it is a pain to have your account shut down on a day when the billing department are not available, however if you have already had five days' worth of warning, you did have plenty of time to do something about it before you got into that situation. Ultimately they have to draw the line somewhere, and it would cost them time, money and resources to chase people up who put off paying, hence the short time frame to make the payment required.

It's happened to me several times, I've just used a different card before it got to being suspended.

Ruth

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
I do understand that it is a pain to have your account shut down on a day when the billing department are not available
And that's the core of the problem.

Ultimately they have to draw the line somewhere
The line is usually drawn on working days. 3 working days, 5 working days...not weekends.

How unfair it is to ask for a payment for me on Sunday, when on Sunday it is not possible for Rochen to receive money? Who can make sense of it?

if you have already had five days' worth of warning, you did have plenty of time to do something about it before you got into that situation.
Not really plenty of time. The 5-day window most of the time includes 1 or both days of weekend, making it a 3- or 4-day window. Very, very rarely it's 5 - if and only if the billing date fell on Monday.

If I have to make an emergency transfer from one of my bank accounts to the debit card listed at Rochen, it takes 3-5 working days.

I would only want Rochen to adhere to the same standards as the entire business world instead of inventing their own rules which are unheard of.

It's happened to me several times, I've just used a different card before it got to being suspended.
Yes, it does happen. Happened to me twice, and both times it was weekend and Rochen couldn't accept the payment. No matter how hard you try, sometimes "the check is in the mail" and you can't do anything about it.

It's really awful to have plenty of money on the card and the website down for delayed payment. Rochen put me in that situation.

True, I should organize myself better but I got better things to do than to conform my life and career to Rochen's rigid schedule which leaves no room for error. It's a three-day window.

Let's assume I got another bill which is being processed on 22nd. Instead of 18.95 needed for Rochen, 18.94 is left on the card (for the sake of example). And I got to make an emergency payment. Rochen is leaving no room for that.

By the way, the argument "it's your fault that you were walking a dark alley and got mugged, prepare yourself better" doesn't take the blame off the thug. And Rochen is a mindless thug when it comes to payments.

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
I don't think Rochen will change a thing when it comes to payments, as they're doing fine the way it is. For them, the numbers add up.

For those of you who were always on time, I'm not expecting you to understand what it's like to sit with the debit card in your hand on Saturday with the website down and Rochen billing staff offline. But it might happen to you too. Or to your fellow webmaster.

All I can do in turn is to delegate some my low-end websites which don't need high performance to other hosting providers. Just for the sake of it.

MikeS

Rochen Community Member
For goodness sake stop moaning and just move on....we all have to live within rules of one form or another in everything we do, just get yourself organised to live within them here, simples!

Note, my very last comment on the matter, and it really should be yours as well... ;)

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
If you like to be treated unfairly, it's your decision. But please don't advise others to do the same, ok? ;)

MrNick

Rochen Community Member
Ok. It's irritating. You have made your point. Are you going to let it ruin your life?

Nick

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
I got an e-mail saying someone replied to this thread and came to see it, foolishly thinking it was worth reading. :eek:

Cafa

Rochen Community Member
Unless you can make a contribution or discuss the arguments stated in this thread, you're very welcome to ignore its existance.

Wendy

Administrator
Hi there,

Just to clarify some things here, our billing tickets are checked on a regular basis (checks for emergency issues are done on weekends).

All that needs to be done to avoid these situations is to contact us in advance of a suspension occurring. We can, and often do, try to work with people as much as possible in these situations. The options are all laid out in the overdue invoice notices that our system sends out.

Our full Overdue Invoice Procedure article can be found here: https://my.rochen.com/index.php?fuse=knowledgebase&view=KB_viewArticle&articleId=20

Also, we've been working on some improvements to the My Rochen portal which will give customers an automated option to unsuspend once the invoice has been cleared. This should be available to all in the near future.

I'm going to lock this thread now as it seems to be deteriorating. If you have any further questions about this issue, please feel free to open a billing ticket.

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.