Can you Host Silverlight Apps?

dwarren

It is possible in Linux to host Silverlight apps as long as you can add the MIME type to your server. Can I do this with Rochen?

MikeS

Rochen Community Member
I was under the impression that Silverlight has been dropped by Microsoft?

dwarren

Not sure where you heard that. Silverlight is still very much a key player in the Microsoft world. While I appreciate your concern, your response is not helpful. Do you know if you can change MIME types for a Rochen server under the Business Hosting plan?

Thank you.

MikeS

Rochen Community Member
I'm pretty sure that the mime type setting is always your responsibility if you are just hosting files for downloading, you would handle it in your own download code controller, I do for both down and up loading ;)

A file is just another object to the server, it does not matter what is in it, the mime type just tells the browser what the objects format is. So the simple answer is the server can host any file object, what you do with it and how you serve it is down to you.

Re Silverlight, suggest you read up...... http://goo.gl/iexiY

Last edited:

dwarren

Awesome. Just got off the phone with a sales rep at the same time that said the same thing. MIME types are under your control.

Re Silverlight: I'm well aware what the media says. No, Silverlight will not be used for content delivery in the future such as Videos etc. However, Silverlight is an excellent line of business platform which is still very applicable given it is easier and simpler to dev for than HTML and JavaScript to achieve rich business applications like inventory management.

Thanks again for the help!