DNS Questions

SDS

Rochen Community Member
Hi,

Thank you for your very prompt reply to my previous post.

Some of the domains that I will be hosting use Google Apps and I need to set the MX, CNAME and SPF records. Can I do this?

As part selection process I just happen to run a DNS report at www.dnsreport.com against your domain name, www.rochenhost.com. A couple of the results surprised me and I wanted to get your feed back on them.

Category: NS
Tests: Missing (stealth) nameservers, Missing nameservers 2, Stealth NS record leakage

Category: SOA
Tests: SOA REFRESH value, SOA EXPIRE value

Category: Mail
Tests: Mail server host name in greeting, SPF record

I want to be very carefull in selecting a hosting company for our clients and appreciate your pre-sales service.

Regards,

John

Brad

Rochen Community Member
Thanks for your inquiry.
Some of the domains that I will be hosting use Google Apps and I need to set the MX, CNAME and SPF records. Can I do this?
Of course!

About DNS Report: You will notice we have multiple redundant Nameservers. One of them appears to be down right now, however all the others are working just fine.

Please can you let is know exactly why the other warnings are a concern to you? They should not have an impact upon our customers domains.

Just to add, as a reseller you will have full control over your own DNS zones, so can adjust any records you wish.

SDS

Rochen Community Member
Hi Brad,

I'm impressed with your response time!

I thought that there would be a resonable explanation for the Name Server test and I am satisfied with your answer.

My concerns were of a "Walk the Talk" type of concerns. One would expect a hosting company to have a sqeeky clean setup for their own domain(s). While your domain setup may not affect my domain setups, organizations who are thorough tend to be top to bottom. I was most concerned with the mail test results as I want to limit the number of ways that my clients email can be flagged as spam. In the past I have had email flagged because of ISP and hosting companies that we were using (hosted spammers, poor setups, etc). Can't be too carefull......

However, I am encouraged by your support forums and as most of our sites are Joomla based, I think things will work out well with your company.

Best Regards

John