Estimation

cppl

Rochen Community Member
I'm looking at a potential client move to a Rochen MVS due to issues with peak load times on their current provider.

I was leaning towards an MVS but I'm wondering if that will be sufficient.

It's a single Joomla/VirtueMart site with about 2500 products and an average load of about 100 guests (not counting bots) and 5-10 logged in users, performing 20-50 sales a day.

Peak monthly traffic is averaging 60GB of data but can reach 120GB if they are promoted on one of the morning TV shows (which appears to happen every 3 months or so). Traffic growth has been from 46GB to nearly 60GB from Jan to June of this year so it is increasing steadily.

Payment is either over the phone or via third-party websites like PayPal or similar where CC data is not stored on the server.

Your thoughts on what would provide sufficient capacity to cope with the load would be appreciated!

Cheers

Craig

MrNick

Rochen Community Member
Hi Craig,

MVS = 400GB per month.
Client currently using 60GB per month.
Growth about 2.5GB per month.
Peak = twice normal traffic.
To allow for peaks assume max safe traffic 200GB per month.

A bit of simple maths:
Months safe usage = (200 - 60) / 2.5 = 56

So to be on the safe side 48 months before the bandwidth is in any danger of running out unless the growth rate increases.

Four years is so far in the future that your client doesn't need to be concerned.

Nick

cppl

Rochen Community Member
Hi Nick,
thanks for the reply — I probably wasn't clear enough the capacity I'm referring to is the processing capacity, traffic allowances aren't the issue it's being able to serve it out in a responsive fashion.

The current VPS package is similarly spec'd to the Rochen MVS but suffers load issues such as DB timeouts etc — something we haven't seen on other clients MVS with Rochen.

Average load (reported by WHM) rarely drop below 1.25 and is frequently above 2… given that the MVS is described as an "Equal Share CPU" — I wondering if I would be just changing horses rather than stepping up, so to speak.

We've only just started the process of trying to optimise the website and database — but at this early point nothing is leaping out. The other issue is that reported load averages seems to have no clear correlation with the load ie. number of guest/registered shoppers at any given time.

Cheers

MrNick

Rochen Community Member
Hi Craig,

I cant really help with the performance. My Guess would be that an MVS should be able to cope with that sort of load easily. But it's only a guess.
I am pretty sure that there are much busier sites running on an MVS without problems.

Nick

Last edited:

cppl

Rochen Community Member
Hi Nick,
in the end it wasn't anywhere near enough.

The client had to move up to a dedicated server.

Cheers

Craig

B1gboy

Rochen Reseller Customer
Hi Nick,
in the end it wasn't anywhere near enough.

The client had to move up to a dedicated server.

Cheers

Craig

Craig, off topic, sorry. Just looked at your website which I like by the way. I notice a spelling mistake on the bottom of every page. ...

Our Philosophy

We like to work with out clients and our staff on a personal basis. If we can't meet you it makes it hard for us to judge the project you want us to undertake.

We take the same approach to people in our team, we do our breifings in person, so we're clear on the directions each team member is taking with every project. When it comes right down to it — it really is who you know!

Note that you work with OUT clients. Personaly I like to with clients rather than without otherwise my bills don't get paid :laughing:

Regards

Lloyd

cppl

Rochen Community Member
Thanks good catch — may have been a Freudian slip after a stressful day ;)

Fixed now !