Letter to my previous web host.

leahzero

Rochen Community Member
After transitioning to Rochen, I've finally canceled my account with my previous web host of the past 10 years. Thought you guys might be interested in seeing the letter I sent as feedback on my cancellation.

If it's inappropriate to mention a competitor by name, please let me know, or edit my post to remove the company in question.

---

First, let me state that I've been a customer with phpwebhosting for quite a few years, beginning with hosting the domain ex-okay.com around 2001 and then, more recently, leahraeder.com. In the past, I've been very pleased with your services, quick customer support, and willingness to add services or configure servers at your customers' request.

However, over the past few months, I have had repeated downtime and slow response issues with the server I'm hosted on, Zinc. As you can see from my support ticket history, I made repeated inquiries as to the nature of this problem, and repeated requests to have my account transferred to a different server. This problem remains unresolved, so I have decided to part ways with your company.

It pains me to do so, as I've recommended many friends and clients over the years to your hosting service, but I no longer feel the same standard of customer service or server reliability is being offered. I see my sentiments about phpwebhosting going downhill echoed in various reviews around the web.

On top of the downtime and slowness I experienced, I also found that I could not even send in a support ticket when my server was down, since your control panel and support ticket interface is located on the particular server a customer is hosted on. This is a huge oversight, and I urge you to address it. I was left for hours without any way to contact you except for the generic form on the phpwebhosting.com main site. Helplessness is not something you want a customer to feel.

As my site continues to grow and gain more visitors, I need to feel that my host is reliable, and while I accept that hardware and software issues occasionally arise that cause server downtime, I can't accept the total lack of communication between you and your customers during these outages.

I have switched to the web hosting company Rochen Host, and am immensely pleased with my decision. I invite you to take a look at their web site, rochenhost.com, and see the difference in the way they treat their customers. Their support ticket system is hosted separately so that tickets can be filed when shared hosting servers are down. They also maintain a message board, where Rochen staff frequently post and explain interruptions in service and other vital news to customers, and where customers can help each other with various issues. And they have a Twitter account, for quick news updates and questions. I feel totally secure in the fact that, even if my shared server has downtime issues, Rochen will be available to communicate with me in various ways, and will make an effort to explain problems to customers--which goes a long way toward easing our anxiety during downtime.

I'm sad to part ways with you guys, and to cease recommending you to others, but your service is no longer on par with the competition. I hope you take note of what companies like Rochen are providing, and improve your offering before you become another dodgy web host in a sea of mediocre hosts.

Best of luck,
Leah Raeder
http://words.leahraeder.com/

Last edited:

MrNick

Rochen Community Member
I can see that you must have been very frustrated.

Welcome to the land where things happen properly.

Nick

PS: Your link has a semicolon after http and before //.