Staging & Development with Reseller account

danomatic12

Rochen Community Member
I am wondering how developers here handle staging and development of sites with a Reseller account. I am coming from a VPS world where I have 4 dedicated IPs to use to stage sites for clients during web development.

I'd like to hear how people might handle that here. I am guessing it would be: primary-domain.com/path-to-dev-directory ?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
A dedicated IP address should not be required for a staging or development enviroument.

You can simply add the domain name you wish to host and you will be able to access it via a temporary access URL until you are ready to point the DNS for the domain over.

Please let us know if we can be of any further help :)

danomatic12

Rochen Community Member
Thanks, with a temporary URL, will clean URL's (Drupal) or SEF URLs (Joomla) work as well? I think that would be the most major issue I would be concerned about.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
No, mod_rewrite is not available via a temporary access URL so SEF functions will not work. What a lot of customers do is simply disable these functions and then enable them when the site goes into production.

Another option of course is to have a staging domain you use to build sites and then when you are ready to go live, rename the domain.

MrNick

Rochen Community Member
You can also create an account in Web Host Manager but where you put the domain name actually make it a sub-domain of an existing domain. When you are ready to make it live you just change it to the domain that you want.

Nick

mhoefer

Trying to figure this out (Development Domains/Approach)

(This is an old thread but the topic is the same to I am posting here to consolidate knowledge/help)

Using Wordpress with a Rochen MVS acct.

Current State
When I start a new client project (know that most of my projects are redoing an existing site rather than brand new domain/url) I start a new hosting acct via WHM for "clientdomain.com" and then buildout the site in WordPress using the temporary URL "www.mydomain.com/~clientusername.

The issues with this approach are:
  • Some of the image scripts do not work becuase of mod rewrite not working on temp urls (KB 151). It's not appropriate to tell clients "trust me this will work when we go live".
  • Golive is a drag as I have bunch of links/references to clean up after launch (the good thing is things the links do not break, but the url for the links is absudley long e.g. "www.hoeferweb.com/~clientusername/images/foo.jpg")

Proposed Solution
After reading through these forums and some other resources I think I am going to try the following approach. I would really appreciate any feedback or confirmation that it will work for me.
  1. In WHM set up an acct for "clientname-dev.com"
  2. In my root acct (mydomain.com), set up subdirectory "clientname.mydomain.com" and point it to "mydomain.com/~clientacctusername"
  3. Install Wordpress. On the "General Settings" screen set "WordPress address (URL)" and "Site address (URL)" to "clientname.mydomain.com"
  4. Develop and configure the site as needed
  5. At golive update "WordPress address (URL)" and "Site address (URL)" to "clientname.com" (e.g. the production URL)
  6. At golive submit tx to Rochen to rename "clienname-dev.com" to "clientproductionurl.com"
  7. Light candle and pray it all works:)

Now, obviously I can not light a candle and pray, I need to know it will work!

So those of you that know this stuff cold, what do you think will this approach get me (and future confused users) to thier goal of mod-rewrite working in development and clean urls upon golive?

Thanks in advance looking forward to your replies.

Mike

(Just realized this thread was in Pre-Sales forum. Probably not the best place for it. Will leave it unless an admin wants me to move it.)

Last edited:

mhoefer

Hi Brad

Thanks for the reply. I had seen that KB post, but it left me a bit confused. In particular the parking part, well not the parking aspect itself but *what" domain to park on top.

I have tried to park a "clientname.mydomain.com" on top of "clientname.com" and I get "Error from park wrapper: clientname.mydomain.com is controlled by another user. You cannot park it."

If I were to try to park "dev.clientname.com" on top if it, it would try to resolve to live domain so that does not seem like it would work.

I must be missing something as a number of folks have told me it should be easy. Any more tips?

Mike

Note: Most of my work is redoing existing live websites vs brand new domains, I think it is what is complicating the issue for me.

Last edited:

Brad

Rochen Community Member
That error implies the subdomain you are trying to use already is setup on your server. Use a domain name not already setup on the server. You could even buy a domain name expressly for this purpose if needed.

BTW, as you are a current customer, and this is a thread started by someone else, perhaps it might be better you start a thread on this issue in our customer section of the forum. Other customers will be able to provide you with advice or suggestions there as well.