Windows 2000 hosting ETA?

S

Shawn

Your web site says you will be offering Windows 2000 hosting again "soon." Any idea when that might be?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
We have no set ETA for the return of the Windows 2000 service. Are you looking for any specific feature that requires Windows 2000 to run? as most sites will run on the Linux platform :)

S

Shawn

Boy, you guys really ARE quick to respond!

ASP support, plus I'm a lot more familiar with MS technology and products, I'm sorry to say. :(

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Boy, you guys really ARE quick to respond!
And I thought we were having a slow day :thumbs:

ASP support, plus I'm a lot more familiar with MS technology and products
Well ASP support can be achieved on Linux by using either Apache ASP or ChilliSoft ASP, however we have neither of these running as they generally create load problems on Linux machines.

Linux does however have support for PHP, Perl, CGI, Python etc. – What you can do in ASP you can do in PHP or Perl. There are many sites out there where you can get pre-made scripts or tutorials such as: http://www.hotscripts.com

We also have an ever growing community right here and amongst that community we have many PHP and Perl experts who I am sure would be more than happy to help you with any snags.

As for database support we have MySQL. MySQL is far more powerful in way of query times etc. than MS Access and about the same as MSSQL but has the advantage of being open source.

If I can be of any further help or you have any more questions, please let me know :)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Also forgot to mention, with regard to being familiar with Microsoft or Linux, for most things here at Rochen it wont make any difference as most (95%) tasks can be performed via our web based control panel :)