DNS - how to up new account without breaking existing name hosting?

wwwolf

Rochen Community Member
I'm still a little foggy on exactly what you provide in the way of name hosting/DNS (I'm a bit foggy on DNS in general, to be honest!)

Am I right that
(a) you provide name HOSTING but not name REGISTRATION, so all I need to do is tell the existing host to release the name to you, and it picks up automatically, and DNS is then managed through your cPanel?
and
(b) nothing to do with your name hosting will activate or propagate until I have done that?

Basically, I have a 'live' site with another host, together with email routings, all of which needs to remain live and unchanged. I don't really want to waste time migrating the old site, and would prefer to finish creating the new Joomla site here, and then set up parallel email routings etc and switch the domain across at that point.

And so...

1) Is it safe to create my new account using the existing domain name as primary, or will that in any way interfere with the existing live website hosted elsewhere? (I was thinking of creating a subdomain A record in the existing Domain Zone entries and pointing it at the new site here during the development process.)

OR

2) Would it be safer to set up the new account and site with an entirely different domain name (e.g. buying the .org.uk to match the existing .co.uk) and, when we're ready to switch across to the new site, contact you to change the primary domain and switch it across (which I gather is a straightforward support ticket request on a Business Plan 1 or Plan 2)?

Many thanks!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your post :)

A. Yes, that is correct. Rochen provides DNS hosting as part of your plan but not domain registration.

B. That's correct. Your domain will not point to Rochen until you update the name servers at your domain registrar.

1. It is safe to do this.

2. You can do this if you wish but there is really no need. We provide you with a temporary access URL to access your account prior to pointing the domain name over.

Please let us know if we can be of any further help :)