Joomla PHP 5.3 issues resolved?

Lurkio

Hi,

I am on the look out for a new host for some Joomla 1.5 sites as I am fed up with Justhost support and its automatic denial of problems.

As a user of Akeeba backup, I am a bit concerned with some negative comments around Rochen's upgrade to PHP 5.3 earlier in the year.

My question is, does Akeeba backup work on Rochen's PHP version? Are there any similar issues with any other popular components/plugins?

Thanks,
Tim

MikeS

Rochen Community Member
Talk to Nick (Akeeba) directly as he hosts his own sites here!
And yes it does work ;)

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

I can understand your potential concern as a few people were impacted by the PHP 5.3.x upgrade. We put together a detailed guide to help anyone experiencing issues resolve them: https://my.rochen.com/index.php?fuse=knowledgebase&view=KB_viewArticle&articleId=154&public=1. I have not personally seen anyone having issues as a result of PHP 5.3 recently.

Providing you are running up to date versions of your scripts (and the extensions under them) you should not run into any problems at all with PHP 5.3. Rochen hosts many Joomla powered sites including www.joomla.org and www.akeebabackup.com as MikeS noted above.

You will be able to install Joomla 1.5 or 1.7 directly through our Joomla Utilities in the hosting cPanel and both will run just fine with PHP 5.3. PHP 5.2 is now End of Life (EOL) by the PHP Group and it would present a potential security risk to our customers if we were to continue running it within a production environment.

Please let us know if we can be of any further help :)