Multiple Domain Names and Parked Domains

kammererbj

I think I understand these, but just want to make sure.

I'm going to setup a Joomla domain1.com site. Get everything ready, but they want to go 'live' with a better domain name, call it domain2.com. If both domains are setup with Rochen, would it be simply a copy/move of all files from the domain1 to domain2 folders? The database connections still should be valid correct?

Also, if I have domain2.org and domain2.net, these would simply be 'parked' domains that I could point to domain2.com, correct? These wouldn't count against my number of domains? I would probably then want domain1.com to simply be another parked domain, pointing to domain1.com.

Thank you

riven99

ROFLCOPTER Pilot
I'm going to setup a Joomla domain1.com site. Get everything ready, but they want to go 'live' with a better domain name, call it domain2.com. If both domains are setup with Rochen, would it be simply a copy/move of all files from the domain1 to domain2 folders? The database connections still should be valid correct?

To transfer a Joomla install to a separate account/domain at Rochen, you'd just copy over all of the data as well as the database (using the cPanel backup/restore feature would be the quickest way). You'd then have to update the Joomla config file with the new database name and the new domain name.

Also, if I have domain2.org and domain2.net, these would simply be 'parked' domains that I could point to domain2.com, correct? These wouldn't count against my number of domains? I would probably then want domain1.com to simply be another parked domain, pointing to domain1.com.

That's correct.

:)

kammererbj

Two more questions related to this. It appears from other posts that I would add another domain using the 'sub-domain' function in the cpanel and the new domain would have a sub-folder under public_html -- something like public_html/domain2.

Will the directory structure be any problem for a joomla site?

If domain2 becomes my primary 'live' site and I decide to remove domain1, will this cause any problems?

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You would add this using the "add-on domain" function and not "sub domain" function :)

The directory structure will not be a problem. With the Multiple Domain Hosting plans we should be able to change your primary domain without issues, but the username can't be changed.

kammererbj

I've read a couple of places that Joomla sites are a little easier to configure if they are in the root folder of the domain. Is this always the public_html folder? Or, in the case of add-on domains, what ever folder is setup...like public_html/domain2?

When my domain1 goes away, would there be anything else I would need to do besides you making my domain2 the primary?

Thanks for all of the help.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to have your second domain as a sub folder of public_html. E.g. you could have -

/home/user/public_html - primary domain
/home/user/public_html2 - secondary domain

Or you could have -

/home/user/public_html/secondary - secondary domain

With the first setup each domain has its own "web root" and is not a sub of the other.

Please let us know if you have any further questions :)

NightFlight

Rochen Community Member
Can I just jump in with a couple of queries on this?

You don't need to have your second domain as a sub folder of public_html. E.g. you could have -

With this setup, is there a way I can preview the site in public_html2 before the DNS is pointed - because the temporary URL of servername.directrouter.com/~username will just point to public_html ?

Or you could have -

And with this setup, do I need to be careful about the robots.txt in the primary domain? Presumably I need to exclude /secondary/* from being scanned, otherwise I get info about my secondary site(s) logged as primary.com/secondary or something?

Thanks!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Can I just jump in with a couple of queries on this?
Sure, no problem at all :)
With this setup, is there a way I can preview the site in public_html2 before the DNS is pointed - because the temporary URL of servername.directrouter.com/~username will just point to public_html ?
That is one downside to this setup. You can't preview the secondary domain prior to DNS changes. You can if the files are located in public_html.
And with this setup, do I need to be careful about the robots.txt in the primary domain? Presumably I need to exclude /secondary/* from being scanned, otherwise I get info about my secondary site(s) logged as primary.com/secondary or something?
This is not required, but it may be a step you wish to take to be totally safe.

nmo.marko

Rochen Community Member
Domain and directory setup

Or you could have -

Hi,
Is it possible to have:
/home/user/public_html - no domain pointed to
/home/user/public_html/directory1 - primary domain
/home/user/public_html/directory2 - secondary domain
Any possible drawbacks? Issues in Joomla & SEO?
Marko

riven99

ROFLCOPTER Pilot
Hi,
Is it possible to have:
/home/user/public_html - no domain pointed to
/home/user/public_html/directory1 - primary domain
/home/user/public_html/directory2 - secondary domain
Any possible drawbacks? Issues in Joomla & SEO?
Marko

That wouldn't be possible without setting up a redirect, which wouldn't be a good idea to do for no real reason.

nmo.marko

Rochen Community Member
Domain and directory setup

Hi! Thanks for a quick reply! :)
I've already completed a joomla site aimed for a main domain (let's say "primary.com") but all files are located within a sub-directory:
  • /home/user/public_html/primary.com
I also have 2 more sites in production (addon1.com and addon2.com) which have their sub-directories at Rochen:
  • /home/user/public_html/addon1.com
  • /home/user/public_html/addon2.com
In this situation, is it better:
  • to change my account primary domain name from current one to another (I have several available domains) and configure "primary.com as an addon domain
  • or to move all files from /home/user/public_html/primary.com to root folder where points primary.com?
Thanks in advance,
Marko

riven99

ROFLCOPTER Pilot
Hi Marko, just move the files, it will only a take a few seconds with the cPanel drag & drop file manager.

If you are a Rochen customer, you may want to post any further account-related questions in the private Customer forums instead of here. It doesn't appear that you've activated your forum account though; this one still shows up as a guest account.

DarrenG

Rochen Community Guest
Hi, I have a related query (perhaps just clarification) so I thought I'd add it on here - hope this is ok:

I have a customer that wants several domains eg cars.com, bikes.com & vans.com to point (at first) to the same web space. What is the best way to do this that would then allow me to change the root later eg

For now (all point to the same location):
cars.com /home/user/public_html
bikes.com /home/user/public_html
vans.com /home/user/public_html

Then later is it best to do:
bikes.com /home/user/public_html/bikes/
vans.com /home/user/public_html/vans/

or

bikes.com /home/user/public_html2
vans.com /home/user/public_html3

or

totally different web space

Thanks

riven99

ROFLCOPTER Pilot
If you're a multi-domain plan user, any of the above are fine. Although for the second otpion, I'd call the subdirectory 'bikes.com' instead of just 'bikes'. Same for the 3rd option. It would be better to use the name 'bikes.com' instead of trying to remember which domain is in which numbered directory. If you have a reseller plan, you can create completely separate cPanel accounts for the sites.

DarrenG

Rochen Community Guest
Hi, I forgot to mention that I have a reseller account. I just wasn't sure of the best way to set up many domains pointing to the same space then after a time separating them out but each only using a few meg. If having their own cPanel accounts is best then fair enough.

Thanks

riven99

ROFLCOPTER Pilot
Ahh, in that case you can park the domains via WHM in the DNS Functions section. Then, when you're ready, you can delete the parking and create full cPanel accounts for them. :)

chipc

Chip C.
I have several questions on Add-On Domain Setup with a Multi-Domain Hosting Plan, as the setup here looks a tad different then my previous host of 7-years; they were set up as follows (what I WAS used to):

/primary_domain.com
/secondary.com

Until DNS was pointed, to get to them, you would type:

<ip address>/~primary_domain.com
<ip address>/~secondary.com

My current setup is as follows:

/home/user/public_html/second.com - secondary domain
/home/user/public_html/third.com - will soon add this one

1) Before swinging DNS to point at the new sites, how do I get to the different sites thru directrouter.com (ie. URL to type) to view site; I have tried:

<server>.directrouter.com/~<primary user name> for primary site; this works
<server>.directrouter.com/~<secondary user name> for second site; this doesn't work

2) In conjunction to the question above about robots.txt, if you set up to disallow robots to get to secondary.com from primary, how does the secondary add-on domain get scanned and indexed?

3) After DNS points to your Name Servers, I would assume you either use internal addressing or something as such to be able to differentiate between the domains, with secondaries/tertiaries being 'nested' within the primary; is that the case (just trying to make sure I won't have to do something such as www.primary.com/secondary . . . and yes, I know this sounds like I'm a dundering bufoon, but I was really engrained with how the other host worked - 7 years times the only host I have ever used) ?

Sorry, but just trying to get a decent feel for how I should set up the domain directories, as there will soon be three camped within the primary. Jus' checkin' . . .

Regards,
Chip

chipc

Chip C.
I apologise, this was not the thread I was on when I hit post, it was in Customer Support forum . . . it had the one that had the comments about robots.txt . . . Once again sorry.

riven99

ROFLCOPTER Pilot
Hi Chip,

1) public_html is your www root directory, so to access 'second.com' for example, you'd go to "<server>.directrouter.com/~username/second.com". Notice that this works the same as if you had a subdirectory named 'images' in your primary account, you'd go to "<server>.directrouter.com/~username/images" to access it.

2) *deleted*, I see you were asking about a different robots.txt thread! :)

3) I'm not sure what you mean? Everything will work as expected after you set your nameservers for your domain to the ones provided to you by Rochen.

If you need any more clarification could you post your temp URL that isn't working for you and the directory names of your add-on domains? Do not post them here though, you'd need to start a new thread in the private customer forums. If you were to post them here they'd get indexed by multiple search engines, etc...