testing new joomla 2.5 site

web_steve

Rochen Community Member
I want to create a new business hosting plan 1 account and test a joomla 2.5 site. Problem is that I cannot properly test unless I have a domain/subdomain rather than a temp URL. I've read several posts about this, and it seems that I could create a subdomain on my current host, say: subdomain.myotherhost.com for example and then update that DNS "A" record to point to the Rochen IP I receive with my new business account.

Then Rochen tech support would have to create that subdomain (subdomain.myotherhost.com) for me in order for me to test it there. It would not be needed after my testing.

1) Can you accommodate this setup for my testing?

2) From reading previous posts, I have the understanding that the primary domain (currently hosted elsewhere) used to sign up is not affected at all until I update the DNS to a Rochen name server... is this correct?

3) Re: Primary domain used to sign up
  • Can it be changed if necessary?
  • Does it need to be a real, existing domain?
  • If it needs to exist, can it be a subdomain?

Thanks, Steve

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steve,

1. This should not be a problem. Simply signup using your actual domain name (e.g. domain.com) and once the account is active login to your cPanel at Rochen and add the appropriate sub domain (e.g. testing.domain.com). You can then point testing.domain.com using a DNS A record to Rochen. Once testing is complete and you're ready to go live you can simply move the files from the sub domain to the actual domain within your file space at Rochen.

2. That's correct. Your actual domain name will not point to Rochen until you update DNS. You can point the sub domain over without impacting your main site.

3. Yes, the domain can be changed at a later date (not possible with a reseller plan's primary domain though). Yes, the domain name must be real and existing. You should signup using the full domain name and then add the sub domain via cPanel after signup.

Please let us know if we can be of any further help :)

AgnerWagner

testing new joomla 2 5 site

Hi, I currently have the reseller plan with a primary site and several other hosted websites.

The problem is my primary site is Australian based and Id like to move that one to be hosted in Australia for faster speeds.

Is it possible to change my primary site to another new domain I just registered. Or will I need to cancel everything and set up from scratch again.