Sending mail from your servers

miamiman

Rochen Community Member
SMTP Relay Service

Fear not... if the SMTP relay service suggested by Chris is the solution, we'll certainly go that route.

Thanks to all for your input.

inflatabill

Rochen Community Member
What about this scenario?

I am hosting my html files on Irvine, but I am still using my previous host for email. Rochen's name servers resolve the mail-related sub-domains to the previous host (mail.domain.com, smtp.domain.com, pop.domain.com).

If my user sends to a 2000 member list using smtp.domain.com (which resolves through Rochen's name servers to the other host), will this affect the Rochen AUP limit?

Thanks

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
No, that shouldn't be a problem. The outbound mail will of course count towards your bandwidth both here at Rochen and at the other provider though.

twinkling

Hi,

I recently switched over to Rochen for my Joomla website. Regarding the email limits. I am not a re-seller...just a fledgling non-profit organization. I use an email newsletter service called Constant Contact to send out only about 500-700 emails once per month that are grouped together in one list. I simply enter the list name and all the emails go out together so that everyone gets it at the same time. Now that I am hosting on Rochen, if I am limited to only 100 emails per 10 minutes, then it would take me about 1 hour to send out only this small number of emails. Obviously I am at a loss to understand WHY something that should take less than 1 minute is now going to take me 1 hour or more. Clearly this does not make the best use of my time. PLEASE clarify on this 100 per 10 minute limitation.

Martin

Rochen Community Guest
Hi,

I recently switched over to Rochen for my Joomla website. Regarding the email limits. I am not a re-seller...just a fledgling non-profit organization. I use an email newsletter service called Constant Contact to send out only about 500-700 emails once per month that are grouped together in one list. I simply enter the list name and all the emails go out together so that everyone gets it at the same time. Now that I am hosting on Rochen, if I am limited to only 100 emails per 10 minutes, then it would take me about 1 hour to send out only this small number of emails. Obviously I am at a loss to understand WHY something that should take less than 1 minute is now going to take me 1 hour or more. Clearly this does not make the best use of my time. PLEASE clarify on this 100 per 10 minute limitation.

The problem is if we relaxed on the limits, more customers would use the service for mass mailing and you'd find significantly more messages would go out resulting in higher overall loads. This means poorer performance for webpages. Rochen is a web hosting provider and we strive to do this as best as we possibly can. There are however companies who specialize in distributing mail.

The limits are in place to protect everyone on the server from poor speeds and email blacklists.

bjf123

Rochen Community Member
I use an email newsletter service called Constant Contact to send out only about 500-700 emails once per month that are grouped together in one list. I simply enter the list name and all the emails go out together so that everyone gets it at the same time.
I've been hosting web sites with Rochen for years and use iContact (very similar to Constant Contact) for my newsletter. At first, I tried to work with phplist which can be installed via Fantastico and has settings to throttle e-mail sending to stay withing the Rochen AUP. I decided it was easier to use the third party iContact solution. So far, it's worked very well for me. I certainly appreciate Rochen's position on this since it keeps the servers flowing more smoothly and keeps spammers away.

betweenbrain

Rochen Community Guest
Hi Guys,

Just a thought. Would it be possible for Rochen to set up a paid SMTP service like AuthSMTP? I completely understand, and agree with, about limiting the resources consumed by mass email.

Best,

Matt

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
For security, we do not allow external SMTP connections like this on our shared servers. This would be possible with a Managed Virtual Server (MVS) or above though.

betweenbrain

Rochen Community Guest
Hi Chris,

I understand. I appreciate the fact that you run a tight ship. Some things may be best left for others to handle (external SMTP).

For anyone interested, here's a link to authSMTP's limitations (http://www.authsmtp.com/auth-smtp/pricing.html)

Their plan of 10,000 emails a month for US$168 a year, or $14 a month, only gives you about 333 emails a day. It seems to me that Rochen is providing much more than you can get elsewhere. Even gmail limits email to 500 a day.

Just an observation.

Matt

Stacy

Rochen Community Member
So we can't really use constant contact with a Rochen email account? I convinced my client to switch over to Rochen from some crappy host, and now they cannot send emails since they sent out their enewsletter from Constant Contact. I wouldn't think this would ever be a problem. Please don't tell me I will have to switch again. Is there anything I can do so Constant Contact can still be used?

Stacy

Rochen Community Member
I thought so, but my client sent out an email this AM from Constant Contact and now everybody's emails from their office are getting sent back from them with a "Domain ... has exceeded the max emails per hour (600). They send about 10 emails a day so I know they didnt exceed 600. That is why I have to think it was because of their email from Constant Contact. Unless there is another reason why they would get that error message?

betweenbrain

Rochen Community Guest
I'm fairly certain, but not positive, that Constant Contact uses their own mail servers. I don't *think* that would do it, but I'd open a support ticket with Rochen to check into this. Maybe there is something else going on.

betweenbrain

Rochen Community Guest
Great! If you happen to find out that it was Constant Contact, could you be so kind to let us know? Thanks!

bjf123

Rochen Community Member
There's no reason you can't use Constant Contact with Rochen. I use iContact, which is a similar service, for my wife's business that is hosted with Rochen. It works quite nicely. No idea why you'd be getting that message.

Stacy

Rochen Community Member
I believe they had a virus of some sort that wasnt detected on their old host which was sending out hundreds of emails a day. I told them they would have to contract an IT person to work through it. They should have one regardless. Every business who deals with computers and multiple employees should :)

So it wasn't a constant contact issue at all. Just want to let you know. They still use constant contact without any problems now that they have the virus thing resolved.